Job Posting: Outreach Project Director, Design Squad Global
Overview of Design Squad Global
Design Squad Global is a new initiative that connects 10- to 13-year-olds in US our-of-school-time programs to children around the world, empowering them to collaborate to solve real-world engineering problems and increase their cross-cultural understanding. Through Design Squad Global, youth work together on hands-on activities, learn teamwork and creative problem-solving, and discover how to use the engineering design process to express and develop their ideas. They begin to see the possibilities for applying science and engineering to their own lives, and learn to share their own perspectives, while appreciating the cultures and experiences of young people from another country.
The Outreach Project Director for Design Squad Global will serve as the primary point person and manager of the day-to-day activities of this initiative. The successful candidate will provide design engineering content and training expertise to the team. Under the supervision of the Director of Media Engagement, the Outreach Project Director will lead regular team meetings with national and international partners and serve as design engineering content advisor and lead trainer for US sites.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading regular team meetings and serving as primary liaison between WGBH and our national and international partners.
- Assisting in the conceptualization and development of resources related to the Design Squad Global initiative, especially regarding design engineering content and training tools for out-of-school-time providers.
- Managing US sites, including training site staff to establish Design Squad Global clubs, conducting regular check-ins (via phone and online meetings), and conducting periodic site visits.
- Developing new partnerships with national and international organizations.
- Developing and delivering conference presentations and targeted trainings for out-of-school-time providers in design engineering and the overall Design Squad Global
- Developing and managing large-scale events (200-600 participants), including youth- and family-focused design engineering events, symposia, etc.
- Representing the project at national, state, and local conferences.
- Managing the Design Squad Global project blog.
- Coordinating with other WGBH departments to ensure appropriate promotion of the Design Squad Global
- Writing reports and maintaining records and materials related to project, and ensuring that project deliverables are completed.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Excellent writing and organizational skills required, as well as experience managing cross-departmental teams, and building and maintaining relationships with outside organizations. Background in design engineering education and training required. BS/BA, and a minimum of 8-10 years experience in engineering education and/or STEM educational outreach required. Ability to juggle multiple tasks, attention to detail, and familiarity with current education trends highly desirable. An interest in the use of technology to support cultural exchanges a plus.
Contact: Mary A. Haggerty, Director of Media Engagement at email@example.com
Job Description: DSG Project Director